Gears of War Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Forum built by Gears of War Fans, for Gears of War Fans

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme Empty
PostSubject: EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme   EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme EmptyFri May 17, 2013 1:49 am

In a rather surprising turn of events, EA has announced that it intends to discontinue its controversial, yet influential, Online Pass scheme.

EA was one of the first publishers to introduce the idea of an Online Pass, which ensured that players that borrowed or bought games second-hand would have to pay more in order to access online multiplayer elements.

But apparently, for EA at least, that scheme is no more.

"We're discontinuing Online Pass," EA senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg told VentureBeat. "None of our new EA titles will include that feature."

The reason, says Reseburg, is that gamers hate it.

"Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn't respond to the format," said Reseburg. "We've listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward."

So while Online Passes remain in place for EA's current games, upcoming titles like Battlefield 4 will launch without one. Indeed, Fuse had already been confirmed to launch without an Online Pass prior to this announcment.

"We're still committed to creating content and services that enhance the game experience well beyond the day you first start playing," Resenberg added, alluding to concepts like Battlefield 3 Premium.

We wonder if other publishers will now follow suit, and whether EA will attempt to recoup Online Pass losses by being more aggressive with microtransactions

[x360a]
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

Clan : NME
Number of posts : 2521
GOW cash : 2252

PostSubject: Re: EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme   EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme EmptyFri May 17, 2013 2:06 am

I think EA are trying to mend a few bridges with this.

I've never really had a problem with the online pass as I thought it made sense. But more and more players are being picky about who they spend their money with.

I for example will not buy Capcom games new, in protest over their money grabbing tactics.

Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

PostSubject: Re: EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme   EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme EmptyFri May 17, 2013 3:25 am

Yeah the online pass never bothered me, thought was a nice idea for the company to get a bit of money for their hard work, but can see this being a

"oh look we got rid of online passes"

Then new consoles comes out and there is no trade in = no need for online passes!!! Lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme   EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme Empty

Back to top Go down

EA Scraps Online Pass Scheme
Page 1 of 1