Gears of War Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Forum built by Gears of War Fans, for Gears of War Fans

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! Empty
PostSubject: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 am

Simple question for you all, and one I've been thinking about for some time now.

Will the "Season Pass" Killed DLC for games?!

I'm not just going to throw this question out there without giving you a reason for me asking this question.

I've felt for a long time now that Season Pass will kill future DLC's for the simple reason people will lose faith in paying for DLC.

Season passes have been mainly a HUGE let down for most games plus a lot of the time season doesn't mean all the DLC like you would think. Games like Saints Row 3 and Darksiders 2 released dlc "outside" their season passes meaning people who had already paid for the SP (Season Pass) had to pay for extra.

My worry for SP's started when I paid for Gears of War 3's SP, I was hugely let down by that pass, I bought it thinking it would be campaign related DLC and yet we only got RAAM'S Shadow (which don't get me wrong was epic, excuses the pun.)
I didn't play multiplayer that much nor would I have paid for the SP if I knew that was what I was getting, As I don't have a reliable internet. But no one knew what you where getting for the SP so you pay with good faith in the company that is offering you the pass.

Now take EA Sports, If you buy their SP then you can pretty much know what to expect in terms of DLC.

Now fast forward to Borderlands 2, I bought this SP without a second thought as I love Borderlands 1 and the DLC for that was amazing so when I heard BL2 where doing a SP I got it, 3 DLC later and I'm wondering what my £20 went on. Don't get me wrong I still love borderlands 2 and the DLC are good.

Now the Hardcore gamer in me is disappointed in Gearbox for treating us (their sole income, without us buying their products they wouldn't be able to exist)so badly is terms of thinking its acceptable to pass these "Side Missions" off as a full DLC experience.

But the Old school gamer in me understands that when you pay such a low price for 4 pieces of DLC what do you expect, A company isn't going to put in 110% effort in DLC that is only costing customers roughly £6.66 (as one DLC is classed as free) So what do I expect to happen with the future of Borderlands DLC with all that is going on with the level cap and these DLC let downs.. I expect another short DLC with another 3 pointless achievements before they release an amazing decent length DLC for around the price of 1200 MSP which for me I'll be happy with, As I'm a HUGE borderlands fan but a lot of people on forums are saying that once the 4th DLC is released that's it for them, they won't buy any more.

Don't get me wrong it may seem I'm having a go at just the borderlands SP but that is just because I've only ever bought 2 SP's, GoW (Which I was MASSIVELY disappointed in) and Borderlands 2. But I've done research on Season Passes in general and a lot of people are disappointed in them and I've seen a lot of people saying they won't buy future DLC anymore for that particular game or any other games from that company.

So if that is the case and people stop buying DLC will that see the end of them as companies stop making them as it's not worth it, I do realise that there are people who will still buy DLC but I'm just saying if A LOT of people stopped buying them.

Or will it make no difference and companies will just put less effort in to all their DLC and hope people will still buy them??!!

This is just a thought that has been on my mind for past few weeks now and so thought we could all have a good chat about it and share our thoughts on season passes, whether you like them or not, have you ever bought one, did you think it was worth it?!

Come on people, lets get talking!!

Also don't pay attention to my bad spelling, I'm writing this in a hurry as the battery is going low on the laptop and the charger is downstairs. lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

Clan : NME
Number of posts : 2521
GOW cash : 2252

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 pm

This is a good piece.

While I was more than happy with the GOW3 & BL2 Season passes, I was VERY disappointed in the Max Payne 3 season pass which didn't include any new campaign only multiplayer which I don't play. I spent £20 on DLC I've never even downloaded.

Assassins Creed 3 is the same, I'm just going to buy the George Washington DLC on it's own as all the rest seem to be multiplayer packs.

I've stopped buying season passes for the time being as I don't seem to get the full value for it.

I'll still get the Judgment one though.
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:28 am

See my biggest problem with the Season Pass is you are paying for something blind, they never release what will be part of it, So in your case you bought the max payne and got no use out of it at all.
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

Trade Rep : 0
Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 3:15 am

I've yet to feel burned by a Season Pass myself, but I've only gotten the GOW 3 and Borderlands 2 Season passes....I agree with what you are saying, though, Dave and it will be interesting to see what happens with the future of DLC....and kudos for a well written piece.... thumbs up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:03 am

Thanks very much bro!! Smile

I would just like to point out to people as I have reread the first post, I have no regrets buying the borderlands SP, I would have got the dlc regardless, I'm just slightly upset by how Gearbox have acted.with this game, ask Publik, I was singing gearboxes praises and saying how they are a pro-fan company when the virus was released.

This topic is just about season passes in general and what people think!

Back to top Go down
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
SnarlingCandy

Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:58 am

Very well written and thought out Dave!

I was really impressed with GOW3 and Borderlands 2 (so far) so no complaints from me.
But it is rubbish that you don't always know what your getting with a SP but I think people will still shell out for the DLC if there are extra cheevos to be had Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

Number of posts : 2521
GOW cash : 2252

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 am

The Borderlands 2 SP is still a bargain IMO each one has at least 5 hours of play. I paid 1200 msp for Mass Effect 3 Omega which was crap to be honest.

I fully expected the GOW3 to be all map packs, so Raam's Shadow was a pleasant surprise.

I'm curious as to how COD fans feel about their season pass / Elite packages? It seems like their always bringing out stuff for COD.

Max Payne has to be the biggest rip off for me. People didn't buy MP3 for multiplayer, same with Assassins Creed 3 but at least it is getting some campaign DLC.

I think basically the Sesson Pass is a let down when they release primarily multiplayer DLC when most people bought the game for it's campaign.

Last edited by Publik NME no1 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vambo
Seasoned Gear
Seasoned Gear
Vambo

Number of posts : 157
Gamertag : Vambo Ossy
GOW cash : 164

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 am

@DaddyDaveedo
To be honest... given what the DLC was like for Gears 2 why would you think it would be any different for Gears 3? One campaign add on and 3 map packs was rather obvious I thought?
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

I never bought the dlc for gears 2 to be honest nor did I pay much attention to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!   Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the "Season Pass" kill the future of DLC??!!
Page 1 of 1