Gears of War Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Forum built by Gears of War Fans, for Gears of War Fans

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works Empty
PostSubject: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 pm

There has been some trepidation in the achievement community about the Xbox One achievement system. When they announced some of the changes (timed achievements, cross-game achievements, community achievements, etc) many of us were worried they had completely ruined a beautiful thing. Then there was the Microsoft Store achievement for pre-ordering the console itself, which did not receive many praises either. However, while most people saw that as a bad thing, it actually gave me a glimmer of hope being worth zero Gamerscore. It's just a badge, showing something you did at that point, right? That's what normal achievements are as well, but with Gamerscore, it showed that you've "finished" the game once you unlocked them all. But can you ever truly finish something like Skyrim or Halo MP? Not really, and Microsoft has possibly found the perfect way to extend the lives of their games even further through the achievement system without completely annoying Gamerscore completionists.

Major Nelson has posted an outline of how the new system will work. You can read the full article here, but I've bullet pointed the important stuff below.
• Only video games will award Gamerscore.
• Your Gamertag and all existing achievements/Gamerscore will carry over.
• There will be two separate types of achievements. The first type is what we have now, doing something in a video game to earn points. The second type is called a Challenge, and will be essentially serving as a badge only. Both types are still considered Achievements.
• Challenges can be time based, do not award Gamerscore, can be cross-game ("played Halo 5? Here's a free Halo 6 Challenge Achievement!"), and some can be unlocked as a community ("as a community, kick one billion chickens in the next Fable!").
• Both types are cloud-powered, allowing free additional achievements if a developer chooses (no longer tied specifically to DLC), and developers can change an achievement if it is too easy or hard, or if they'd simply like people to explore that tiny island no one bothers going to at the bottom of the map. Developers can also run contests or polls for the community to create or vote on the next achievements added to a game.
• Consumers can now unlock digital artwork, new maps, unlockable characters, and temporary stat boosts via achievements. As well as sneak peek content, early access, or subscription extensions. This is not limited to games, video and music apps will have achievements.
• Better achievement tracking in games (progress toward collectibles, etc).
• Achievement feeds on the dashboard to show the newest achievements your friends have unlocked.
• Upcoming Challenges lists so you don't miss out on the timed stuff.

So there you have it. Personally, I think they've nailed it. The only thing I would like cleared up now, is if there will be two separate entries on your Gamertag for each game with the two different types, or will each list be flooded with a bunch of zero Gamerscore achievements for all these Challenges? Hopefully the former, if only to make archiving them on our website easier!

So does this ease your fears, or do you still think they're trying to fix something that ain't broke? Sound off below.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

Clan : NME
Trade Rep : 0
Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 4:18 am

Sounds pretty cool to me....but then again, I won't be making that jump to the new console any time soon, so...yeah...lol
Back to top Go down
Corroded
Gunzerker
Gunzerker
Corroded

Clan : HSC
Trade Rep : 4
Number of posts : 661
Gamertag : CorrodedDeath
GOW cash : 506

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 am

think im gonna save up to buy it lol, i want Killer Instinct!!! and saw the gameplay for CoD : Ghosts and looks nice.
Back to top Go down
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img69/2332/corrodeddeath.png
Corroded
Gunzerker
Gunzerker
Corroded

Clan : HSC
Trade Rep : 4
Number of posts : 661
Gamertag : CorrodedDeath
GOW cash : 506

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 9:41 am

one thing i haven't seen or dunno if its been answered, for example, if i were to pay to play Gears of war Judgment on Xbox One, would i have to re buy the Season pass to have the DLC or would it carry over because of my profile?
Back to top Go down
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img69/2332/corrodeddeath.png
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
SnarlingCandy

Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I would of thought because all your stuff (gamertag, score etc) are being moved over so they will move over your DLC too. Be a bit shit if they didn't!

I think this sounds ace! Give games a longer lease of life. Mind i'd have to get off Gears first lol!
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:42 am

I'm gonna guess that with their stance on used games, they're gonna make you buy the DLC again too....hopefully I'm wrong....
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 am

Be interesting too find out!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works   Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works Empty

Back to top Go down

Here's How the Xbox One Achievement System Works
Page 1 of 1