Gears of War Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Forum built by Gears of War Fans, for Gears of War Fans

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Touching Story from BL2

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

A Touching Story from BL2 Empty
PostSubject: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:39 am

I was just looking at x360a's Achievement's Award, which can be found HERE (I was going to copy it here for the site but will take too long, lol!)

So check that out as its a very good read.

Anyway back to my reason for this post, I was reading down the list and came across the award for Most Original Achievement
When I saw it was borderlands 2 that had won I read the story and what I read has restored my faith in Gearbox, Its such a nice touch by the staff at Gearbox and one that I dunno if people knew or not but is worth knowing.

Here it is:

This year’s “Most Original Achievement” discussions took a different slant behind the scenes. This is a category where we’ve generally rewarded developers for such achievements as ‘Little Rocket Man,’ for sending a gnome into space in Half-Life 2: Episode 2; ‘Horse Puncher,’ for punching a horse in the face in Darkest of Days; and so on. You know, truly original in-game acts.

Winners of this award are usually the pinnacle of creativity and originality. This year though, we decided to go for something different. Something where the task isn’t necessarily original, but the way in which it's been used is undoubtedly original.

We’re talking about none other than Borderlands 2’s ‘Tribute to a Vault Hunter’ achievement. In terms of getting the achievement, all you have to do is randomly meet an NPC in Sanctuary and accept a weapon. The story behind the achievement, its name and the character though, that’s the original aspect. You might think that Michael Mamaril is actually just some generic name that Gearbox decided to use in Borderlands 2. It is in fact the name of a Borderlands fan that died after the release of the first game at the tragic age of 22. When his friend wrote to Gearbox asking them to do a eulogy for his friend’s funeral, in the voice of Claptrap, they not only obliged, but went one step further. They added Michael as a character in Borderlands 2 so he could live on forever in digital form, and they even paid homage to him in the achievement name. It’s a beautiful story, and one more than worthy of our award this year. Kudos, Gearbox. Eternal kudos!

Winner: Borderlands 2 - 'Tribute to a Vault Hunter'

A Touching Story from BL2 Aa1225

I think that is such a nice thing for not only his friends but the company to do.

What are your thoughts guys?

Also on a side note if you could live on in a video game, what would it be and why?

For me its defo Borderlands 2, I just love this game so much, it is my fav game of 2012 and all time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
Corroded
Gunzerker
Gunzerker
Corroded

Clan : HSC
Trade Rep : 4
Number of posts : 661
Gamertag : CorrodedDeath
GOW cash : 506

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:04 am

lol not what i was expecting from reading the title lmao, but funny, if i could "Live" inside of a game id be Gears, love the game, and would love to actually be in a war to be killing people and recently ive been a beast in online matches and got my Golden Wings finally!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img69/2332/corrodeddeath.png
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 am

Well I never meant live as in for real, just more as a homage to you like they did for that guy in the story, but still like ya answer dude, lol.
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

Clan : NME
Trade Rep : 0
Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 am

Yeah, I remember when I read the meaning behind that achievement that I thought it was pretty awesome of Gearbox to do that for a fan.

Your question, Dave, is a tough one....

I would love to be immortalized in several games...BL2 or GOW would be amazing...but I think I have to harken back to my more basal instincts when I say that my "true" game of choice would be an old original Xbox gem in the form of "Playboy: The Mansion"....I mean, c'mon fellas, who wouldn't want to spend the rest of their digital days hanging out with boobies..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 am

Dude, that would be awesome, what would your achievement name be?! Lol so many ideas so little time
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 am

"Chillin' on a Bearskin Rug"

lol!
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 am

" I see... Boobies"
Back to top Go down
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
SnarlingCandy

Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 am

Very touching story, really was a nice thing to do for the family.

Think i would say Gears for me. I'd like to be a main character and out with a bang and no i wouldnt like to go out with a bang in the playboy mansion lol!

Well either Gears or Borderlands. I can imagine Dave saying something along the lines of ...

'Well you already talk a load of Claptrap' Razz

Thought i'd get in there first tongue
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

Number of posts : 2521
GOW cash : 2252

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Great story, well done Gearbox.

I'd like to be immortalised in a Fable game. When you become King and give your coronation speech you'd get an achievement, it would be called...

Publik Address
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Haha, love it.
Back to top Go down
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
SnarlingCandy

Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

If this was a comp, Publik's anwser would have to win! lol!
Not that i'm bias Razz
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 am

Publik NME no1 wrote:
Great story, well done Gearbox.

I'd like to be immortalised in a Fable game. When you become King and give your coronation speech you'd get an achievement, it would be called...

Publik Address

Awesome, Publik, just awesome.... thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Touching Story from BL2   A Touching Story from BL2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Touching Story from BL2
Page 1 of 1