Gears of War Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Forum built by Gears of War Fans, for Gears of War Fans

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)

Go down 
+2
Ninja
TheBlueOmen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

Clan : PurpleVein
Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2437
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Players might be ready for more level-ups, but their hardware isn't.

Borderlands has always had a pretty good track record with DLC expansions, adding new content and, by extension, more loot and experience points for players to earn. The first Borderlands created room for growth by raising the level cap as DLC was released, eventually bumping the max level from 50 up to 69. Borderlands 2, however, hasn't budged from its 50-level limit after three expansions' worth of new content. Top-level players are getting restless without character progression, and Borderlands developer Gearbox Software understands - it just can't do anything about it.

"We, as customers and gamers ourselves, hear the fans," says Gearbox president Randy Pitchford. "People want to level up more. It makes sense. We totally get it. We did it in Borderlands 1, so we have the precedent. And we're gonna break our fucking game if we change the math."

As Pitchford explains it, the team at Gearbox was very conscious of exactly what combinations of skills were possible with a level cap of 50. The way the skill system is implemented, players would be overwhelmingly powerful if they had the added flexibility of a few more points. Not only would it disrupt the game's balance, it would run the risk of exceeding the capabilities of the game itself. "We knew the impossible configurations. Some of the design exploits that. Some of the impossible configurations, if they were possible, would break the game. Sometimes very literally. 'Oh, that's gonna blow memory. Your Xbox will crash.'"

There are a handful of other challenges that exacerbate the problem of post-level 50 content. If the skills could be balanced, players will still need higher level enemies to avoid turning the game into a cakewalk. Worse still, enemies that are balanced against overpowered post-50 skill combinations would turn around and crush players with less optimized skills. This is to say nothing of the expectations of new max-level items, which present another slew of balance issues.

"It's easy to imagine," says Pitchford, "when we're playing the game, 'We could just change the number, and everything would be fine.' No, dude, there's a lot... This is the most fundamental thing about the game. It's a big deal."

Gearbox has released three expansions for Borderlands 2 so far, with a fourth coming soon to round out the game's DLC "season." From the sound of it, a level cap increase isn't likely this time around either, though Pitchford notes that only about 16 percent of players hit level 50 at all.

Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) 87541

[Via The Escapist]
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Couple things with this story, Only 16% have got to level 50, that has to either be total rubbish or will mainly be the fact people are holding off from getting to level 50 till cap increase as one of my friends is doing.

Next is the whole "the game will break if we raise the cap" well they should have known about this hurdle when they produced the game, so they should have made it alot harder to hit level 50 or just put in the highest level already and just told fans there wouldn't be a cap increase.

I understand the problems they are facing but when you've created the game then you must have known this could happen??!!

Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

Clan : NME
Number of posts : 2521
GOW cash : 2252

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm not really bothered about a cap increase. Just gimme the next DLC and that will be me done. A game doesn't have to last forever, I've moved on now and will just re-visit Pandora for the DLC or to help out friends. I'm fine with that, they did a great job with BL2 but after the next DLC it's over.

What Randy says makes perfect sense, and players need to just accept that it's coming to an end.
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm

The most annoying part about all this is they have said from day one that this game has staying capabilities, they wanted to keep players playing, introducing new characters, higher levels, dlc so think most people are annoyed by the lack of action taken by gearbox when they themselves mentioned their plans.

Also I underatand your point in terms of you moving on from it but you are like that with all your games, you get the achievements and move on. But alot of borderlands fan keep playing the game, there are many fans who still play borderlands 1. So I guess fans will get annoyed by what appears to be a lack of action on Gearbox's behalf.

I'm now at the stand point where by I don't mind if they don't increase level cap now as I'm just enjoying playing the game, and if I know there won't be an increase I'll just work on getting all the characters to level 50.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 am

I think that they got the levelling just right. When you finish the game first time you are about level 32, and I hit level 50 at the Angel fight in TVHM, which included some boosting.

So it takes 2 playthroughs to hit level 50, which I think is plenty.

For people who want to keep playing, they can always build up their other characters (that's 10 playthroughs worth).

I'd bet that if you played 1 normal playthrough plus all the DLC's you still wouldn't hit 50.

I can totally believe that only 16% have hit 50. Most people will only buy the game, finish it and trade it.

The people who are moaning on the net may seem to be many, but they are probably less than 16% of the people that bought the game.
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

Trade Rep : 0
Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 am

Well, I agree with both of you on this one...

Dave, you hit the nail on the head with the thought that they should have seen this coming when they were developing the game. If it's "the most fundamental thing in the game", then they should have already had the issue in the front of their minds. If you can't increase the level cap, just say so right from the start and be done with it. Don't dangle it in front of you faithful followers' noses like the proverbial carrot on a string, only to whip it away at the last moment and eat it.

Publik, I also see your point as having a ton of merit. As true fans, we think our opinion is always the same as other true fans. But as much as I love BL2, I haven't hit level 50 with any of my characters yet.....largely due to an extended hiatus from playing, but still....my wife and I have completed the game once and have almost finished the Torgue add-on. I'll still play the game for quite some time as I'm confident I'll eventually get all 5 classes to level 50....but that will take some time considering my playing schedule is anything but constant.

Having said all that, I still love the game, will continue to play it regardless of whether or not they raise the level cap, and would gladly buy Borderlands 3, should they ever decide to make it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

Excellent post Grizzlesticks, agree 110% with that.

On side note, they will defo make a number 3, that part about there being loads of vaults on loads of planets, leaving the game to be open to ANYTHING, as each planet can have its own values.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 am

They will increase the cap or create an alternate way for players to continue. It's just going to take a bit of time.

I've said it before, but a prestige system would surely be easier to implement.
Back to top Go down
Phenom 247
Phenom 247

Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 am

Thank you kind sir! Very Happy

I can't see them walking away from the potential cash cow that this franchise offers, but crazier things have happened.....
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:40 am

From Randys Twitter 3 days ago...

"I'll say: 100% chance of a level cap increase this year, but 50\50 on unforeseen consequences that some people will rage about."

Sounds about right Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 am

They have already introduced an prestige system with the challenges, guess the level one could work, only problem I see there is the likes of weapon storage as I can't imagine people would wanna get rid of their lvl 50 guns and stuff, and I don't see how else it would work as you can't let them carry on with using ya lvl50guns on lvl1 enemies.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:10 am

They could add a bank in the 4th DLC similar to BL1.
Back to top Go down
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
SnarlingCandy

Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 am

Can't believe only 16% have lvl 50. I mean i have it for gods sake lol!

Totally agree with Phenom, don't wave it around saying your going to do something then don't.
But there are 4 characters to level up so to the peeps stop your bitch ass moaning and play some boderlands lol!
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:24 am

I'll tell you what I can bitch about though....

I've lost many of my character heads. It happened when my BA rank got reset. It's a good job I didn't put in any time to farm them or I'd be really pi$$ed off.

I doesn't really encourage me to get working on them though....Sort it out Gearbox!!!
Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 am

No matter what gearbox or any games company do Candy there will be people moaning about something.
Back to top Go down
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
SnarlingCandy

Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 am

Very true Dave! lol! and usually it's me and Publik lol!
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 am

Erm just a little point Dave...

Didn't you get me to boost the last 5 or 6 levels for you using the Fleshstick trick?

Now you're complaining that there aren't enough levels?

Hypocrite Wink X
Back to top Go down
Corroded
Gunzerker
Gunzerker
Corroded

Clan : HSC
Trade Rep : 4
Number of posts : 661
Gamertag : CorrodedDeath
GOW cash : 506

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 am

sad to see no lvl increase coming =(
Back to top Go down
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img69/2332/corrodeddeath.png
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator
TheBlueOmen

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 am

You helped me with the last couple levels, I was already a lvl48, lol, smart arse, and I'm not complaining about the lack lvl I'm just saying I wish they would annouce something for the fans.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:45 am

Yeah that's right, it was the last "couple" of levels. Rolling Eyes lol
Back to top Go down
Mutlien
Armoured Kantus
Armoured Kantus
Mutlien

Number of posts : 1039
Gamertag : Mutlien
GOW cash : 817

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 am

Why does levelling up take precedent over just playing the fuppin game?

I am in exactly the same boat - I whinge about level caps etc...but why? It doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment of a game really? .....does it?

It's like cheevos, sometimes they can put you off / make you play more - why?

Think I'll get me a ZX Spectrum and not have to worry anymore lol
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 am

theDevilziNME wrote:

Think I'll get me a ZX Spectrum and not have to worry anymore lol
That would take you back to your mid-thirties right? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)   Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It) Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearbox Can't Increase BL2's Level Cap (Without Breaking It)
Page 1 of 1