Gears of War Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Forum built by Gears of War Fans, for Gears of War Fans

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

help with multiplayer tips please =)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wait and Bleed
New Recruit
New Recruit

Clan : N/A
Trade Rep : 0
Number of posts : 8
Gamertag : nat in the hat6
GOW cash : 16

help with multiplayer tips please =) Empty
PostSubject: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm

so i couldn't find any threads that would help me, but i was wondering if anyone could give me tips for effective online mp play. I used to play mostly horde or just boosting medals with bots, buit i would like to be able to play more competetively.

. I can't seem to get much better. I have become better than when i first started playing it. I just can't seem to coordinate my movement effectively
i also have problems with shotgun battles usually, sometimes i will luck out and get the kill, but other times it's just no dice.

If anyone could give me some tips and tricks with getting better all around in mp, i would greatly appreciate it.

And if anyone would like to add me up and help me out my gt is nat in the hat6.

thanks! Surprised
Back to top Go down
TheMeInTeam
Rookie Gear
Rookie Gear

Number of posts : 75
GOW cash : 80

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

The first part of becoming good at this game is movement. You have to know where to go. Play for map control; areas of the map that let you see multiple power weapons as well as shoot at people who are far. These are your default locations because you can find enemies that way and help your team cross people.

You also need awareness. When you hear gunfire, you better know damn well whose it is and where it's happening. If you hear shots being fired behind you and don't see bullets streaming from a teammate's gun, turn around. If you hear shotguns going off nearby, ALWAYS turn to face it. Be aware. Use LB to figure out where teammates are and use that knowledge to extrapolate where the enemy team can possibly be. Usually there are only 1-2 possibilities.

No matter what kind of battle you're in, shotgun, lancer, pretty much anything but sniper headshots you want to have actives on. Try to keep some rounds of active reload damage boost at all time. It really really matters in gnasher battles and there's no reason not to do it. Gnasher can only down in 1 shot outside of its gib range with an active, and its 2 shot down range with actives is actually impressive. If you're struggling with shotgun fights, that will do a lot for you by itself and it's an easy thing to learn (most people use the gnasher, so if you kill someone you can pick up more ammo, don't be afraid to pre-fire to get the damage boost on reload).

If you want to win the shotgun fights, you have to learn how other people move to avoid being hit. Either learn the wallbouncing or play off a bit with actives and aim fire to get some damage/down them. Sometimes both. Also when you fire from the hip the bullets will go towards the bottom-left part of the center of the screen (basically pretend there's a square in the middle of your screen. The bullets will go to the bottom-left part of that square). As hip fire is mandatory in close range shotgun battles and also useful for the lancer in many cases, you need a feel for it.
Back to top Go down
nulgath
Grenadier
Grenadier
nulgath

Number of posts : 761
Gamertag : Lord Deathforge
GOW cash : 427

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 6:24 am

my hints are the following
1. Weapons:
Best weapons for you to use in the begginner state would be hammerburst and sawed off
2. Never ever use pistols or rifles in 1v1 combat, or u will get slaughtered, unless u know how to use snub like a boss
Back to top Go down
ThePublicNME
Administrator
Administrator
ThePublicNME

Clan : Purple Vei
Trade Rep : 9
Number of posts : 3121
Gamertag : ThePublicNME
GOW cash : 3894

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 am

I'm sure there is a thread on mutators but yea I can't find it either!

But here's a link to our website for the mutators, its tells you what they do and the easiest way to unlock them

http://www.gearsofwar3guide.com/gears-of-war-3-mutators-list.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.gearsofwarfans.com
TheMeInTeam
Rookie Gear
Rookie Gear

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:22 am

Quote :
Best weapons for you to use in the begginner state would be hammerburst and sawed off

Sawed off blows. Even for beginners they might as well get started on using a decent close-quarters weapon.

Quote :
2. Never ever use pistols or rifles in 1v1 combat, or u will get slaughtered, unless u know how to use snub like a boss

Dunno about that. I see a LOT of lancer beating gnasher, though admittedly you have to be pretty darn good off the hip and have at least a little distance. Active lancer can down before shotgun gets 2 pumps off and if you're firing off the hip you can back away and keep hitting them as they roll. If you're starting outside OHKO range for gnasher both have a chance depending on movement.

Hammerburst SUCKS without a fast trigger finger or mod cheating. I'd even recommend the retro over it. However the lancer has the lowest floor and the highest ceiling and is easily the best starting weapon. If you active it (and it is the easiest weapon in the game to active) you can down people just shooting them with it easily enough. Once you get used to how people move and know when you can hit people in the head with it and when to body shot, it's also one of the fastest downing weapons.

I've never seen someone in cover taking active lancer headshots by surprise react in time. Not even once, in 100's of games. If you're close enough to be dealing full damage and not get the .6 multiplier for long range, 5 bullet downs on that much rpm is just stupid. However, rookies can easily not bother with the mild recoil compensation and instead just drill actives into someone's body and let the kick take them up a bit.
Back to top Go down
ThePublicNME
Administrator
Administrator
ThePublicNME

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:59 am

Here's some of my tips when first starting out on Gears multiplayer.

The first thing is you will die alot, Gears has a high learning curve so be prepared to die alot lol

The best thing to do is hang back from the start, follow someone or at least the majority, use your Lancer (not Hammerburst or Retro Lancer).

Choose the Gnasher as your shotgun I won't go into details why but just trust me.

Learn to master the active reload.

From a distance use your Lancer but if someone rushes you or you are close switch to your Gnasher. Don't forget to switch weapons in different circumstances in can make all the difference in winning or losing a fight.

Use the LB button alot it will show you where your team are and just from that it will give you an idea where everyone is.

If you see an enemy click the left thumbstick so it spots them, get into the habit of doing this. It will net you extra points in the long run and bring other advantages to your gameplay.

Use cover alot, instead of standing there shooting, get in cover and shoot instead.

But the most useful tip is to follow someone, stick with someone, if you follow them and they die, then go follow someone else, be someones wingman, this is the best way to learn and you won't die so much.

Back to top Go down
TheMeInTeam
Rookie Gear
Rookie Gear

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Ninja gives good advice here, I'll +1 all of it.

For mastering actives, take it a step further. Try to have active damage bonus on for every fight you get into. Sometimes you'll mis-time it at first, but once you get the hang of it the advantage is ridiculous. And yes, that means pre-firing a few rounds (say 2 gnasher rounds, and maybe 8-10 lancer rounds) so you can active just before firing at the enemy.

And yes, LB is your friend. Knowing where your team is and, by extension, figuring out enemy team locations is a big part of moving well.
Back to top Go down
nulgath
Grenadier
Grenadier
nulgath

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:20 am

well ninja maybe your right, well for me lancer seems to weak to use that why i try to avoid using it, and more likely use hammerburst instead, and retro is actually quite hard to master in the beggining, expecially when controlling its shaking-force.
Well sawed of would be better to master first as i used first to get more into the new controls in gow 3, so well its his choice on what is easier to use.
And one more thing for Bleed, never ever mis use ink grenade as it can save ur ass, REALLY it can!!!!
Ink grenade is the best in the whole game....
Back to top Go down
ThePublicNME
Administrator
Administrator
ThePublicNME

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:40 am

The Hammerburst requires quick finger pressing and has an awkward reload and a small clip size.

The retro lancer has a lot of recoil and a not see easy to hit active reload.

The Lancer however has no recoil, an easy active reload, a big clip size and comes equipped with a chainsaw.

Since this thread is meant to help 'new players', the lancer is the better option.
Back to top Go down
nulgath
Grenadier
Grenadier
nulgath

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:37 pm

yh but lancer is weak and most of the times u have to aim at their higher part of body to make more dmg, as for hammer everywhere it has same dmg except for headshots of course
Back to top Go down
TheMeInTeam
Rookie Gear
Rookie Gear

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Quote :
well ninja maybe your right, well for me lancer seems to weak
[u]

lulwut

Quote :
The Lancer however has no recoil, an easy active reload, a big clip size and comes equipped with a chainsaw.

The chainsaw often feels like a hindrance, but it's lulzy and it's so iconic I'd never want it removed.

The hammerburst actually has the least recoil, but the problem with it is that you only have 20 round magazines and an awkward + long reload. It's too much of a liability at mid/short range and perfect actives actually slow reload. Without a cheat mod it's hard to use to its potential.

Retro lancer's recoil is the strongest in the game. You can still down people with it off the rock ledge on sand bar as they run from spawn for example, but you need actives + a very specific tap-firing rate to keep it on target (basically you use it semi-aut). It's absolutely brutal up close but it kicks like hell full auto so judgment is needed at each range to determine how much you can hold the trigger down vs feather it.

The lancer has mild vertical recoil (claiming "no recoil" is inaccurate. For someone coming over from say mw2's ACR, it has considerable recoil lol) that can easily be compensated by pressing down slightly or by feathering the trigger. The lancer is simultaneously the most noob-friendly AR AND the hardest one to actually master. The reason is in the MULTIPLIERS. The above weapons get 1.2 damage from an active reload, and no benefit from head shots. The lancer gets a 1.3 multiplier from actives AND a 1.5 multiplier from headshots. Yes, they stack. You do nearly double base damage this way.

If you sneak up on someone who's in cover at mid range and fire active rounds into their head accurately, they'll be downed before a human being can possibly react. Head actives drop someone significantly faster than a gnasher can get 2 pumps off. If you're not the immediate target and are team-firing on someone or they're just not so close that you need to fire from the hip, the lancer is one of the game's most devastating weapons. Seeing it called "weak" is just painful :p. It's easily the best AR in the game.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/84998823/WeaponStats-TU31-by-LambentHammerburst

Active lancer headshots take at most 1 more bullet than retro shots. At some ranges, it takes the same number. However, the lancer has higher RPM and its lower recoil means you can fire more rounds without interrupting the fire rate as much. While not every lancer shot can hit the head, at least a few will if you aim near it. A realistic bullet count is 7-9...which when fired full-auto is pretty freaking devastating.

That alone probably wouldn't push it to the top, but that plus the largest clip plus the easiest active plus the fastest perfect active reload time makes it the most versatile and competitive for the most powerful. It also has the best AR hip fire accuracy/practicality, by FAR. A common way to beat shotgunners is to fire at the head initially then instantly drop the sights and hip spray on them.
Back to top Go down
nulgath
Grenadier
Grenadier
nulgath

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 9:10 pm

well true but its not beter than snub of course, as it is a mini-sniper lkke some people call it
Back to top Go down
Wait and Bleed
New Recruit
New Recruit

Clan : N/A
Number of posts : 8
Gamertag : nat in the hat6
GOW cash : 16

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:19 am

thanks everyone for the tips =)
i have definitely gotten much better and was even at the top of the scoreboard yesterday in the match =) I appreciate all the awesome tips.
Back to top Go down
TheMeInTeam
Rookie Gear
Rookie Gear

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

nulgath wrote:
well true but its not beter than snub of course, as it is a mini-sniper lkke some people call it

I like the snub a lot too but unless you're running mods its down time is comparable to lancer.

I prefer snub for meat shield situations or when out of ammo otherwise. Snub just doesn't have the magazine size or total amount of ammo and so usage of it has to be strategic or you'll run out.
Back to top Go down
nulgath
Grenadier
Grenadier
nulgath

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:09 pm

yh they should change ammount of ammo to 999, as its really weak
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help with multiplayer tips please =)   help with multiplayer tips please =) Empty

Back to top Go down

help with multiplayer tips please =)
Page 1 of 1